Friday, October 15, 2010

Broken Wrist

This child will be the death of me...
Yesterday before soccer practice, Caden was climbing a tree and fell on his wrist. He didn't even cry and still tried to practice with his team. About an hour into practice, his coach called me and said I might want to come get Caden because his wrist was really swelling and bugging him. We raced to the park to find Caden uncomfortable but still not crying. We thought it must just be a sprain. We brought him home, iced it, and wrapped it.
This morning it was still sore but we just wrapped it and sent him to school. I was debating taking him to the doctors and after talking to my mom this morning decided to just take him in and get it checked. Good thing! He fully broke his wrist, through the growth plate! I cannot believe he wasn't ever crying or freaking out. Don't let his size fool you - he is one tough little bugger! His arm is splinted for now because they cannot cast it until the swelling is completely gone. He will wear the splint for 10 days and then have a hard cast for 4 weeks or so. I just cannot believe it. It is one thing after the other with this kid. He just plays way too hard and is way to crazy! But through it all, he is such a trooper and is so positive. He can't wait to go to school tomorrow and tell all his friends about his arm and he cannot WAIT to get his hard cast and have everyone sign it.
I, meanwhile, always stress of the worst case senerio - that he will have one gimpy arm if his growth plate does not heal properly. I think I have aged 5 years in the last few months with Caden. Tonight he told me "this is awesome! I'm going to have so many cool stories to tell my kids when I'm older!" Kids are resilient.

7 comments:

becky said...

seriously! He is tough! He is getting so big...

I miss you guys!

Shauntelle said...

Wow. You sure have gone through a lot with him these last couple of months! When he called last night and told Brett, Brett said it would stink to not be able to go in the water when he has his hard cast. But Caden responded by saying, "Well, I can read and play video games instead, and I like doing those things." I just thought it was so cute how optimistic he is. :)

Kierstin said...

i am so sorry he got hurt! We love you Caden!!!! He is so strong and brave...get better soon! xoxo

Lance and Kara Ford Family said...

Oh my Caden! Hopefully I'll make it there in time to sign that cast :) You're gonna have to figure out some serious plastic cover thingy so he doesn't have to miss out on surfing. Get better tough little cookie!!! No gimp arms aloud... (you are hilarious Jenn)

Shannon said...

ok STOP! tell him to stop growing up! he's my little beans and he is so so big in that picture! ugh... i miss you guys.

Dear Caden please start drinking some milk before you give us all a heart attack! haha

loves...

LuLu said...

Jeezo! Broken bones suck don't they?! Right through the growth plate?? That's terrible! I feel your pain sista. Brooklyn has now broken both of his arms. I asked him if we could be done breaking arms now. I can't believe he never cried. That's one tough kiddo!

{jane} said...

ok, so i read this the DAY you wrote it, and just realized i didn't comment...how is he doing??? i've told everyone here about his fall, and wrist - i hope he's healing!!!