Friday, March 14, 2008

Future Scientists

The Science Fair is over - yeah! I, of course, got myself in over my head trying to teach my child something important, clean power. While the attempt was noble, it was way too much work for a second grade science fair project. We hooked his bike to a stand, hooked a generator up to the stand and then plugged it into a battery to store the power he could make by riding his bike. I won't torture everyone with the boring details but is was actually a lot of work. Let's just say that I learned ALOT about proper wiring, electrical currents, voltage, amps, watts, etc. Once the project was set up, Chase had fun making his own power and actually learned quite a bit about the effects of pollution and the need for alternative power sources.Chase's Project - Lean and Green

Chase presenting to his class. All the kids got to ride his bike and generate power. They loved it!

Chase demonstrating at home.

Caden and his teacher. They did a class project together (thank goodness). They learned all about seeds, roots, and plants and did several different experiments with them. It was really cute.

I am always impressed with how many smart kids go to their school. There were so many fun, unique and interesting projects. I love it when children are inspired to learn and discover.

9 comments:

Kierstin said...

Jenn you really did go all out!! You are such a great mom, all 4 of your boys are so lucky to have you! That looks like an awesome science project!! Way to go Chaser, you did an awesome job, it looks so cool! SO does yours Caden! Hey...you want to save Chase's project for me for next year :-)

{jane} said...

W - O - W !!!

Jen, You rock!

I'm now worried & intimidated for next years science fair @ Ivy Hall...Can we plan on Chase & Myla being partners now so I can avoid the pressure! ;-)

Granum Family said...

Seriously??? That's amazing. I'm gonna need your help for the future, I'm clueless about that kind of stuff!

Sara said...

Holy, moley Batman! WOW, Jen! (And people say I am an over-achiever!) What a great idea... totally creative and fun! That is sooo great and I am sooo impressed! I hope you saved the blue-print/plan for your awesome design... maybe I'll be calling you next year! :)

Sara said...

Holy, moley Batman! WOW, Jen! (And people say I am an over-achiever!) What a great idea... totally creative and fun! That is sooo great and I am sooo impressed! I hope you saved the blue-print/plan for your awesome design... maybe I'll be calling you next year! :)

Lance and Kara Ford Family said...

We are definetely sending our kids to Ivy Hall if we are living there still when they go to school. What a cool science project. NIce job Jenn, oh and Chase :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go, both of you! I am so impressed! Great job, and it looks as if your hard work really paid off and that everyone got to enjoy it. You are amazing, Sis!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Caden, too. Great job on your seeds project. Looks like fun. Trenton was impressed because there was a bean in his bathroom sink and it was actually starting to grow a sprout (because I hadn't cleaned it out of the sink for a few days ... oops!).

Shannon said...

I am thinking about sending my kids to you~ Can you open your own school, PLEASE!!!
You are amazing, i am still so amazed that we can actually workout and store power at the same time!

What did you pass out as a treat! hehe