Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Geoff's Hole


As most of you know, Geoff was in a snowmobiling accident on Friday - or as he would say "it wasn't even an accident, I totally landed the jump and rode out of it. I just smacked my head." Well, "I just smacked my head" was quite an understatement. He actually crushed a hole in his skull the size of a raquetball! (Look to the left middle of his lower forehead for the dent) Amazingly, the bone damage was the only thing he suffered. No pain, no concusion, nothing else! He had surgery that night (3 small plates and 8 screws with just minor incisions on his forehead and scalp) and walked out of the hospital 2 hours later. Who walks out of the hospital after and hour and a half long surgery on their skull? Seriously amazing! He is healing well, bruising and swelling the only issues. We go back to the doctor on Friday and I will be able to post photos of the surgery and the MRI. So for all you faint of heart, be prepared. I won't post anything too disgusting. So I said that sometimes he needs these accidents to show him that he really isn't Superman but he is healing so well and so quickly that even I am starting to believe that he really is!

9 comments:

Kierstin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kierstin said...

Oh Geoff! I am so sorry that happened to you but I am SO glad that you are okay...it is so scary to think what could have happened to you. You are an amazing person with a huge love for life and I admire that. BUT do you think that maybe, just maybe you could take it easy from now on?? I love you very much and feel blessed to have you as my older brother. Jenn thanks for taking such great care of him and for keeping us updated on everything, you stayed so calm...kind of like Geoff did when you put your hand down the garbage disposal :-)

Shannon said...

I still can't believe he came home from the Hospital that same night!
I SAW the hole, and it was quite scary. Glad to see him recovering so well. Your not gonna know what to do when he goes back to work!!

Granum Family said...

Seriously, what is with these Granum boys and their freak accidents??? So glad that everything is going well now, it could have been a lot worse! No more crazy stunts Geoff! We love you!

Lance and Kara Ford Family said...

Are you kidding me!!! That is insane. He's got to be Superman. Screws and plates in your brain and you're still walking around. Did the doctor say that that was normal? Maybe you should keep him in his bed for a while. Sounds like a pretty serious injury. I'm glad he is ok though. Lance wants to know if there is going to be any permanent brain damage?

{jane} said...

Geoff, I can't believe you came home from the hospital so soon, but if I were to guess anyone to do it - it would be you! ;-) You have an incredible endurance for pain.

Plus, you have nurse Jen taking such great care of you at home!

Good idea #1 - In future snowmobiling outings, lets keep the snowmobile ON the ground. No flying off cliffs.

Good idea #2 - While you have the down time, come to Jen's Red Iguana games and help cheer us on!

Sara said...

Oh, my! That is one LARGE dent! I am so glad he is okay and that it wasn't worse...
WOW!

Also, SOO grateful and utterly AMAZED that the surgery went so well! What's the secret, Geoff? Do you take some magical anti-pain, self-healing plant from the upper west Indies? If so, you really should market that..!

Heather said...

I can't believe that! I'm glad he's all right. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

Lacey Bean said...

That is the saddest thing. Poor Geoff. I can't believe that happened. Hopefully it doesn't scar.