Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Nip and Tuck - One Week Later

So, as most of you know, I had a tummy tuck last week. I had finally lost all of my chubby baby weight and Geoff and I have decided that 3 boys is enough so it was time to have the "stretchy skin" (as my children have so lovingly named it) removed. A few days before the surgery I totally started freaking out but still wanted to go through with it. Tuesday morning I had the procedure done. It is about a 3 hour surgery that requires an overnight stay. After the surgery, I felt like death. I was like "I can't believe I did this to myself willingly!" But by that night I was getting up to go to the bathroom myself and even took some short walks. I came home on Wednesday all jacked up - a pain pump around my neck with 2 tubes feeding down from my chest to my stomach, 2 large drains with bags that needed to be stripped and cleaned every 4 hours, breathing exercises, oxygen monitor, and about 4 different pills. The first few days were rough, but I did everything they told me. I even woke up every 2 hours through the night to walk around a little bit (I was paranoid of blood clots). One of the worst pains has been my back. I made the last minute decision to let him lipo my flanks (think love handles) even though I didn't really need it. My doctor said it was free with the surgery and gives a great overall look and he barely needed to do any. I found out yesterday that the reason it is so painful was because I didn't need it done. My doctor said if you have a lot of fat, the needle just slides in and out. But with me he had to squeeze my back really hard to create a pocket of fat to lipo. So lesson learned, the less lipo you need, the more painful it is. In hindsight, I would not have had this done. My lower back looks like someone beat me severely with a baseball bat! By the weekend I was functioning much better. I had the pain pack and tubes removed which took a lot of pressure off my neck and I was even able to shower and shave my legs. Monday, I went into the office and had my drains removed and the stitches around my new cute bellybutton. I am back to somewhat functioning (cooking, cleaning, getting myself and the kids ready). The pain is manageable, I only need one pain pill a day around 3 when I am just so exhausted. I still couldn't do it without help because of all the attention Crew needs and it is still impossible for me to lift him. Thankfully I have Kara and McCall who come everyday to help my keep my sanity. Geoffrey has been a great help throughout and has really stepped up taking care of Crew. My mother in law, Kay, was such a blessing to me the day of my surgery and my mom came for the weekend to take care of me and the boys. I think she might sleep for a week straight now!
Now I would definitely say it is worth it. Only one week of down time and actually it was only about 3 days of misery. I am still hunched over a bit and I have to sit and sleep a little awkward. I have to wear a girdle for 6 weeks. Good thing its fall so I can get away with sweats every day!
Thanks to all of my friends who have lifted my spirits, brought me meals, and taken care of my boys. If anyone is thinking of having this done I would highly recommend my doctor, Dr Rose, and I would say to make sure you are in shape before the surgery and keep a positive attitude throughout.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

I still laugh once in a while how Open all the boys, including Boston are about what happened to you!
Good thing you blogged it, cause i think everyone knew!
Even my niece Charlee was like, Whats a Tummy Tuck, and Boston Thoroughly would explain it to her like it was no big deal. hahaha

You are doing amazing!! I am so glad it was just like that for a couple of days, that was freaky!
You look so great, you will LOVE the result!

Now start thinking "HAWAII!"
Loves...

Kierstin said...

I am so glad you are doing so well. You are such a trooper!

I am still sick and Brent is out of town...not fun! Love you!

{jane} said...

You are a trooper! I am so excited for you! You already looked amazing, and now you are going to be super-amazing! I'm so glad you are up and moving around, I hope the bruising goes away quickly...now it's just a countdown till you move to, I mean visit Hawaii again!

becky said...

i am so happy that things are getting better for you! i've been thinking about you and can't wait to see the result...like jane said, you were looking pretty hot before and now this is the icing on the cake!

Granum Family said...

You are much tougher than me!!! I think I'd still be in tears from the pain :) Can't wait to see you in your "super tight pants" as you told me last night ;)

Shannon said...

Oh Jen, I wish I could've helped with the boys. You didn't tell me! You already looked amazing, I can't imagine what you look like now!

curryclan said...

Oh my hell...that sounds miserable! I can't wait to see you - I'll be sure to check out your backside! I need a full body suction, boob lift and butt tuck - do they discount for multiple body parts?

Lucrecia said...

You are so brave! I've heard tummy tuck's are pretty insane. Good for you. I'm going to have a little "procedure" in February. I think all Mom's have a right to reclaim their bodies after they're done having babies.

Kristie said...

All I can say is OUCH...but I want one too!! At least you know that some of your pain is because you really were too skinny:)

Kristie (Kelli's sis)

Sara said...

Oh, I am so happy for you! Sorry for the pain and misery of recovery, of course (and YES, you DID look amazing already), but I am always in favor of whatever a Mommy can do to make "yourself" feel great about "yourself" again! Here's hoping we'll both be up and at 'em and feeling fabulous again soon! :)