Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fablehaven

This summer, we started a neighborhood book club. Their first book was Fablehaven. I think I enjoyed it as much if not more than the boys! It's a great read for kids and adults.

We all met in the treehouse to discuss the book and have treats. We told the kids that we actually live in Berkhaven, a community much like Fablehaven that serves as a retreat and sanctuary for mythical creatures.

Caryn had this cool Turkish tea set for the magical hot cocoa that would open the kids eyes to the mythical world around them. (If you've read the book, this makes sense)

Drinking the Cocoa

Then we sent them out in the yard to see if they could find anything. I had about 10 creatures hidden.

The Green Fairy up in a tree.

Them finding the green fairy.

I am hoping to do about 6 books a year with them. I love to see them learn, their imaginations expand, and develop a love of reading.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That was such cute Book club!! I love the activity and the Book is Fabulous!!
So fun!

{jane} said...

I am so bummed Myla missed this, but ummm, we hadn't started the book, so she wasn't ready anyway...

I LOVE every idea/activity you guys did - the fairies are adorable!